Monday, June 21, 2010

Solstice.

Today is the longest day of the entire year.

What did you get to do with your extra minutes of daylight?

I, myself, was bummed about not being able to spend it with my friends on some porch in West Philly, or better yet, at the Magic Garden's Summer Solstice party. I was hoping that something would come up, like magically meeting someone who would casually invite me to their "little get-together". By 6:30, Patty had gone out for the night and I was left alone. I took some pictures of the farm with my Pentax camera, I was so happy to have a quiet moment to capture the barns as the sun was on its way down.

I couldn't let the solstice have its fun without me, so I hopped on one of the bikes in the barn, and strapped my book and a flannel shirt to the back. In a few minutes, I was off. I followed Route 30 north for a few miles. Basically, I was riding through a valley, with mountains on either side of me. And with the night getting cooler, and the sky getting bluer...I was in my element. A couple of times on my bike ride I found my self smiling and laughing. This was comforting to know that I could spend time alone - and manage to enjoy it.

Some of my favorite things: bike riding, summer nights, and mountains.

I ended up in Townsend (the next town up) and I stopped at the market. Parked my bike right outside - didn't even lock it up! Just rested it beside the front of the store and strolled in. This was a luxury for me, since normally, I can't leave my house without my bike lock. I roamed the store for a while. What did I need to buy? Nutella of course! There is something about summer and Nutella that just hits the spot.

Next stop? Find a place to read. Now, as much as I wanted to park my bike in a field with the wildflowers, I knew that that might not be the best idea - its trespassing or something. I can only imagine Patty answering the door to a cop, holding me up by my collar, asking her, "Do you know this girl?" I'll save that for another time. Another night. So I rode south to Newfane Village and read some of my book on a bench in front of the county court house. Quiet and peaceful.

So my Solstice started with a bike, and ended with my finger in a jar of Nutella. Not bad.

But here is to next year's Solstice being spent with friends.

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I'd trade you for your Solstice in a second. The Magic Gardens party was insane...like a little too insane. And it was hot, 100 degrees hot. I wish I was riding bikes and eating Nutella in Vermont with you. :)

    ReplyDelete